The recent fine weather means that spring is well on the way so now is the best time to spruce up your bedroom with a good spring clean. Your bedroom may well have been a cosy retreat over the winter but all kinds of dust and debris could have gathered over the winter months so it’s time for an airing.
Preparing for your spring clean
Spring cleaning a bedroom is no easy feat as a thorough clean will mean moving furniture and vacuuming in all kinds of nooks and crannies as well as giving your mattress some TLC so if possible, draft in your partner or a friend to give you a hand. Before the real cleaning starts you will need to clear all the floors and surfaces from clothes, cosmetics, books and any other items which have been gathering dust. When your bedroom is clear it’s time to start the hard work.
Spring cleaning your bedroom
It’s always best to clean from the top down so that you’re not shifting dust onto areas you’ve already cleaned. Begin by using a long handled cobweb brush to wipe away dust from the ceiling, light fittings and the top of any high furniture such as a wardrobe. You should then wipe all your bedroom furniture with a damp cloth to shift any stubborn dust. Now is the best time to be honest with yourself and decide whether you should invest in some new bedroom furniture. It doesn’t have to be expensive and new bedroom furniture is one of the best ways to give your bedroom a completely new look. Another bonus of new furniture is that it will force you to sort through your wardrobe and chest of drawers and get rid of any clothes you haven’t recently worn. This will free up lots of storage space and make it much easier to keep your room tidy.
During the winter your bed will have been one of the warmest places in the house but months of being covered in blankets and cushions will mean that it’s time to give it a good airing. Strip off the bed covers and wash the duvet, pillows and mattress protector. While the bed is stripped it’s the best time to check out the condition of your mattress and bed base. If you’ve noticed lots of lumps and bumps sticking into your back at night or if you regularly wake up with a painful neck then it could be time to replace your mattress. If your bed and mattress look worn out then treat yourself to a new bed so you can get a better, more comfortable night’s sleep.
When your bed is stripped, vacuum under it and also vacuum the rest of the floor area. For a true spring clean you can take down your curtains and wash them or have them dry-cleaned to freshen them up. When your windows are clear, give them a clean with paper towels and a window cleaning liquid, don’t forget to wipe over the window frames as well.
Below is a quick checklist to make spring cleaning your bedroom super simple…
Your spring clean checklist
- Dust – use a feather duster and damp cloth to rid your room of dust
- Clothes – go through your clothes and ruthlessly remove anything you don’t wear
- Laundry – wash any dirty clothes, bed linen, towels and rugs and launder your curtains
- Windows – dirty windows can make a room look dark and dingy so ensure you make yours sparkle
- Floor – vacuum the floor thoroughly and if the floor is wooden polish it
- Rubbish – clear away any rubbish including old papers and empty cosmetic bottles
- Bedroom furniture – wipe all your bedroom furniture and if necessary replace any items which show signs of wear and tear
- Storage – keep your bedroom tidy by investing in extra storage such as under-bed storage
Maintaining your super clean bedroom
Clean and tidy bedrooms are a relaxing and healthy place to sleep so once all the hard work is done you can treat yourself to a well deserved rest. Although your bedroom will look fantastic after such a deep clean it can be easy to slip back into bad habits so to ensure your bedroom remains pristine follow these top tips…
- Tidy up as you go so that your bedroom is uncluttered – this includes removing any crockery, dirty clothes and papers every day
- Don’t leave all your laundry until the weekend – try to do at least one wash during the week to prevent dirty clothes from taking over your bedroom
- Try not to buy cosmetics in multiples as they can soon fill your dresser and make your room look messy
- Make your bed every day but make sure that you air it from time to time by stripping back the sheets and letting the mattress breathe.
Your bedroom should be a tranquil place to relax and unwind and with these top tips you will be able to enjoy a peaceful night’s rest every night.